During this, our first podcast episode we are looking at mental health, suicide awareness and prevention.
Did you know that according to the Samaritans Suicide Statistics Report 2017:
- 6,188 suicides were registered in the UK and 451 in the Republic of Ireland.In 2015 there were 6,639 suicides in the UK and Republic of Ireland.
- The highest suicide rate in the UK was for men aged 40–44.
- The highest suicide rate in the Republic of Ireland was for men aged 25–34 (with an almost identical rate for men aged 45–54).
- In England and the UK, female suicide rates are at their highest in a decade. Rates have increased in the UK (by 3.8%), England (by 2%), Wales (61.8%) and Northern Ireland (18.5%) since 2014 – however increases in Wales and Northern Ireland may be explained by inconsistencies in the processes for recording suicides in these countries.
- Female suicide rates have decreased in Scotland (by 1.4%) and the Republic of Ireland (by 13.1%) since 2014.
- Male rates remain consistently higher than female suicide rates across the UK and Republic of Ireland – most notably 5 times higher in Republic of Ireland and around 3 times in the UK.
Join our therapists, Joanne and Amanda as they discuss mental health, suicide awareness and prevention in our first ever Podcast.
Visit our blog and read our article Suicide Awareness – Shocked and inspired by 13 reasons why
From our hearts to others let this message flow where it needs to go