Stimulating the face muscles with regular massage helps to bring oxygen to the area which is a natural form of anti-aging skin care in itself. More blood flow to the area increases collagen production, which gives a healthy and natural glow to the complexion.
A facial massage involves the face including the forehead, nose, eyes, mouth, chin, cheeks, temples as well as the neck, décolletage, ears, and sometimes scalp.
Daily stress, poor circulation, exposure to pollutant and absorption of toxins often results in puffiness, dryness and tension building up in specific muscle groups. The forehead furrows and lines form between the brows and along the lip line. Gentle, routine facial massage combined with hydrating facial products can help relax these tight and drawn muscles, decreasing those fine lines and wrinkles and minimising dryness. Facial massage also normalises the moisture balance, ph of the skin, which helps to reduce impurities and toxins while increasing radiance.
Facial Massage Research
A study published as “The facial massage reduced anxiety and negative mood status, and increased sympathetic nervous activity,” involved 32 healthy Japanese women, ranging in age from 20 to 40.
Each woman received the same type of facial massage in a private room. During each of these sessions, the face was first massaged using a cream-based lubricant. This was followed by a steam treatment, after which the face was massaged a second time using a lotion designed to moisturize the skin.
“Outcome measures were evaluated immediately before and after each facial massage. These measures included electrocardiogram (ECG) recordings to evaluate intervals between heart beats, as well as parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous activity. The Profile of Mood Status was used to determine the current mood state of each subject, and the State Trait Anxiety Inventory was used to measure participants’ anxiety levels.”
Results of the research revealed that parasympathetic nervous activity increased during the massage and sympathetic nervous activity increased after the facial massage. Parasympathetic nervous activity is responsible for rest and recovery, resulting in a relaxed physical state. The study also showed that both anxiety and negative mood decreased significantly after the hands-on intervention, based on the scores from the Profile of Mood Status and State Trait Anxiety Inventory.
Based on this data, the authors theorized facial massage may bring about not only relaxation benefits, but it also may have a stimulating effect, or refreshment.
“These results suggest that the facial massage had strong effects on stress alleviation, or psychological relaxation,” said the study’s authors. “The increased sympathetic nervous activity following the facial massage … might be a positive reaction to a stressor, which is classified as eustress. Such a mixed status of psychologically relaxed and physically-activated might well be regarded as refreshment rather than relaxation. In conclusion, the present study could demonstrate that facial massage reduces psychological distress and activates subjects physically.”
Hi l had an appointment today for a facial with Vicky Durward and it was wonderful my skin feels smooth and silky. Would highly recommend her–Linda Smith
I had a lovely facial massage tonight with Joanne, enjoyed every minute of it.–Judith Ekin
Had a facial massage today, the first ever massage treatment I’ve had… I absolutely loved it. Extremely relaxing and the therapist was very knowledgable and professional at all times. Anyone who thinking of having a treatment here, all I can say is do it.–Karen Hevingham
Facial masks and massage provide psychological, emotional, and physical benefits
As we have seen from the research carried out facial massage reduces stress, decreases anxiety and can improve a negative mood, but it can do so much more.
Facial massage can help relieve allergy symptoms, such as sinus congestion where a buildup of mucus in the sinus areas can result in pressure, puffiness and headaches. In this instance facial massage helps to mobilise secretions, improve drainage and relieve congestion.
The lymphatic system plays a key role in health as lymph, a clear fluid removes toxins from the body when it’s filtered through the lymph nodes and moves into the bloodstream. Muscle movement is needed to push lymph fluid through the body and a lack of movement can result in a sluggish lymphatic system and a buildup of toxins. Many lymph nodes are scattered throughout the facial area, especially along the edge of chin and jawline. Massaging the face, neck and décolletage stimulates the lymphatic vessels and facilitates toxin elimination from those areas.
Facial massage improves the texture of the skin, increases circulation and encourages cellular activity and rejuvenation which is why it is a fantastic anti-aging treatment. Not only does it stimulate but also soothes the nerve endings of the skin making it a wonderful way to relax and promote well-being.
Skincare brand Vichy conducted a consumer test on 30 women aged 30-60 years to evaluate the effectiveness of a facial massage. The results found a 59% increase in skin firmness, 39% decrease in visibility of wrinkles and 17% decrease in shine.
|Monday & Friday||10:00 – 21:00|
|Tuesday – Thursday||10:00 – 21:30|
|Saturday||10:00 – 18:00|
|Sunday||10:00 – 17:00|
*Sundays via prior appointment only, subject to availability
- 24K Gold Facial Mask & Massage
- After a deep cleanse, a full holistic massage is provided to the face, neck, and décolletage using only natural organic skins products. Once you have been transported to bliss we apply 24K gold to lift and firm the skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This rich mask is infused with Pure 24K Gold and Colloidal Gold to help improve the appearance of firmness and impart an opulent glow. You are then treated to a luxurious scalp, hand and foot massage. This exclusive service with Vicky Durward is suitable for all skin types, leaving you with luminous and radiant skin. You will emerge feeling radiant, energized and infused with well-being.
- Holistic Facial Massage
- The aim is to ease stress and tension in the facial muscles, smooth away lines and wrinkles and increase elasticity and bring about a feeling of deep relaxation and well-being.
- NYR Organic Facial Massage
- Using NYR Organic’s award winning skincare products it includes massage of the chest, neck and shoulders as well as the face helps to increase circulation and reduce tension. The treatment ends with Reiki.
- Ayurvedic Facial Massage
- This exclusive facial ritual includes a rejuvenating cleanse, facial steam, soothing mask, neck & shoulder massage, finishing with a beautiful relaxing head massage. The massage will treat the scalp, face, neck and upper shoulders, using various massage techniques and marma therapy. Your skin will be left looking fresh, moisturised and revitalised promoting balance which in turn is an anti-ageing benefit.